On Being a Freelancer: Couldn't Have Done It Alone

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

 Marcel Proust

My First 3 Months in the Netherlands
I wish I had started writing a journal back in those days. I have a terrible memory, you see. From what I remember, I was excelling at being a housewife, studying Dutch every day, and enjoying my new social life. On the other hand, my sweetheart and I were figuring out how to be with one another, and I too was unrestful figuring out what who would I become. 

Month #4
I got my first job as a postbezorger, and that was quite a ride as you know... (If you don't, read "Finding a Job in the Netherlands: PostNL and I.")

Month #5
At the taalcafe, I was asked if I had been a teacher. When I said yes, this beautiful Russian lady expressed she would love having a teacher like me.  This took me completely by surprise! Some days later, I contacted a language school in Eindhoven and was told that they didn't need anyone, thank you. 

During an afternoon coffee, I discussed the school experience with my dear Italian friend, who happens to be a teacher too, and she talked about the possibilities making a business out of our professions. At that time, I was confused and tired. I didn't know where to begin or what to do. Luckily, my sweet and smart Turkish friend encouraged me by saying I should explore being an independent teacher, and that she would ask around to see if anyone would like to join a conversation session with me. It was right then and there that the magic started to happen. . .

Month #7
On December 6, at 15:10, I had an appointment at the Kamer van Koophandel to officially register as a freelancer for January 2018. There is a lot of work to do, lots of responsibilities to fulfill, and a whole new world to learn about. 

Conclusion
I am deeply grateful for all the wonderful people in my life. Being a freelancer was possible because I had many angels helping me with ideas, information, translations, etc. It might sound unbelievable, but months ago, I had told my "praktijkondersteuner" I was feeling alone. She went ahead and corrected the statement. She explained it was not only a feeling but a state: I was alone.  Today, I am in a different place thanks to everyone around me. Like the Russian proverb says, Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are. 

Tot volgende jaar?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inburgering Part 1: Reading Exam

Resources and tips for your Spreken Inburgeringexamen

Learning Dutch and the Difference Between White and Brown Eggs