Inburgering Part 1: Reading Exam

So here we go... What is the famous "inburgering"? Well, according to Wikipedia, "... the foreigner is obliged to learn very basic Dutch and basic knowledge about Dutch society..." There are different levels of exams, it all depends on what you want it for. From now on, let's call it integration exam.


The first exam I took was to get the residence permit and come to live here with my sweetheart, as you well know. That one was an A1 level and it is done in your country of origin. 

For the second one, the A2 level, you are given three years to complete it once you are living in the Netherlands. It is made up of six parts and it is the one I am currently studying for. Now, there are more levels (B1, B2, NT2). For example, if you plan on going to the university, you must be ready to take the NT2. 

As I mentioned earlier, there are six different parts one should take in order to complete the integration exam: 

  • Writing
  • Speaking
  • Listening
  • Reading
  • Knowledge of Dutch Society, and
  • Orientation on the Dutch Labor Market
I've decided to begin with the reading section. My classmates said it is one of the easiest so I thought, why not? Therefore, I have begun drilling and would like to share the resources I have been using to study:
  1. Oefeningen inburgering. This is very basic since it's designed for levels A1-A2. Still, you can never practice too much!
  2. Adappel. REALLY nice! There have lots of readings available. 
  3. Inburgeren. It is the official site for practicing. I found this to be harder than the previous ones. A little more challenging but totally doable! (I hope!)
Time for the big question: How to study? Well, as a teacher, I pretend I am my own student. This means I follow my own advice. I:
  • Set time to study EVERY DAY. Minimum ten minutes. More than fifteen minutes doesn't work for me. I get distracted.
  • Write down all the words I don't know and look for their meaning later.
  • Keep reading my Flow magazine or a book just for the fun of it!
I can only say one MUST enjoy the process. If you or someone you know needs to take the integration exam, do share this info, or share with me any tips you have. All help is welcome!

See you soon with another post. There are so many topics: My almost two-month visit to Mexico, how have I reduced my stress levels, my 2019 reading list, healthy choices and losing weight. (If there is a topic you would prefer, please let me know ;-) )

Take care and tot volgende keer!


Popular posts from this blog

Resources and tips for your Spreken Inburgeringexamen

Learning Dutch and the Difference Between White and Brown Eggs