When love is not enough...deliver the mail!

"Youth is not enough. And love is not enough. And success is not enough. And, if we could achieve it, enough would not be enough." Mignon McLaughlin


Since I moved to The Netherlands, I have been constantly trying to find my place, and my bike . . .  

Once upon a time, I had baked a nice and yummy cake. Despite this, I had the feeling that there was something missing to make it sumptuous and exotic, comforting and filling. Right then, I decided to explore and search. I wanted to find that mysterious and desired ingredient. It turned out to be love. And lucky me! I found my sweetheart! He was far, 9000 km away. Nevertheless, that didn't matter since we were optimistic and in love. We drafted a plan and changes started to unfold, decisions were taken, adversity was overcome, and the new chapter of our lives was ready to take off. In order to have my new cake, I only needed to update the recipe and start baking! 

Obviously, I thought I was prepared for this step. How could I not? For example, I knew this cake had to be done in a different kitchen and land, at a different temperature, with probably different ingredients. I am a very rational person, you see, I was aware! The tricky part came when I, list in my hand, walked in the isles of the new supermarket: ingredients were missing and I was at a loss. 

Months later, it finally dawned on me. I understood I couldn't bake the cake I had thought. Not similar, not different. What I had to learn, right then and there, was to make an entirely new menu! And you know what I discovered? That I loved my darling. On the other hand, love couldn't be the main ingredient anymore. I had to find a way to figure that out.   

When one is in a new country, learning a new language and figuring out a new mission, it is difficult to adjust, to walk out of one's bubble, be brave enough to explore the unknown.  But I have good news, very good ones. It is all possible, but you must be willing to let go and dive in. Do you want to know what I did in The Netherlands to take the plunge? Ok, so I will tell you. I got a job as a postbezorger! 


                                             
Yes, I am a post carrier. I deliver the mail 3 times a week in my bike. Was that difficult? Yes. Was speaking Dutch a requirement? Yes. Did my body hurt every day? Yes. Did I want to quit? Yes. Was my bike stolen? Yes. Do you want to know more? If yes, then don't miss the next post!





  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inburgering Part 1: Reading Exam

Resources and tips for your Spreken Inburgeringexamen

Learning Dutch and the Difference Between White and Brown Eggs