Me Cooking. My Butcher. With Wine.


What happened to me? Did it happen to you too?
     I must confess. My darling is not hallucinating or imagining things. Yes, I used to cook more often and sometimes even sophisticated meals. Then, reality sank in. You might wonder what I mean, or maybe you know EXACTLY what I am trying to say, as in "been there, done that." It started feeling like an obligation, a must, a chore that couldn't be skipped. I asked myself, what can I do to like cooking again?

     Not much. It has never been my strength. Even so, I have looked for ways to enjoy it more: Share a meal with a friend; enjoy when I am invited over and someone else does the cooking; have fun when preparing a meal. When alone, never say always but close, I listen to a nice podcast and have a glass of wine. Then my honey comes home and says home cooking is better than anything else. I don't agree, but I try to feel flattered. Do you see what I mean?  

What have I been cooking lately?

     Every weekday I need to make sure there are 4 different options to fill the 4 containers of my honey's lunchbox. So whatever I cook, there should always be enough in the fridge for the next day. An appliance that has been very helpful is the Crock Pot or slow cooker. It was my sweetheart's idea. I can cook something overnight and have enough for the week's lunchbox (one container...the smallest). 

     My menu looks something like this:
  • Rice 
  • Soups
  • Pastas
  • Salads
  • Potatoes
  • Potatoes
  • Tortilla Española
  • Crockpot recipes
     Occasionally:
  • Carnitas 
  • Barbacoa
  • Pozole (just 2 times I am afraid)
Something I would like to try:
  • Stamppot
  • Pannenkoeken
Do I recommend a butcher in Eindhoven?
     Absolutely. Slagerij Lelieveld is where I have been buying for some months now. My friend Maria agrees with me that everything they sell is of high quality and excellent flavor. 

What have I learned?
     Attitude is everything. On one hand, I don't want to have to cook. On the other, it is one of the acts of service my loved one appreciates more. With this information, you can grasp what I am working on and my struggle with it. All I can do is to remind myself I moved here for love. So if I should learn to enjoy cooking...let's open that bottle of wine and get started!

Smakelijk!

P.S.
If you have a recipe for stamppot, pannenkoeken or the slow cooker, please share!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inburgering Part 1: Reading Exam

Resources and tips for your Spreken Inburgeringexamen

Learning Dutch and the Difference Between White and Brown Eggs