You are a house manager. Now, cook!

"We are not housewives." 

This is what I tell my students when they talk about missing the good old days back in their country, not having to be in charge of the house. I say, "We are not housewives. We are house managers!"  House managers? What the heck does that mean?! A house manager keeps the house in pristine shape and the meals yummy enough to have the husband/wife coming back happily from work every day. (My darling keeps saying, while having dinner, "This is delicious, I should recommend you!" To what I always reply, "Please don't!"

A house manager runs this activity as a side business because he/she must focus on figuring out who he/she is, what he/she is doing in this country, and how he/she will prevail in reaching a blissful spiritual state. How can one seize such a tough and arduous goal? There are many ways, I suppose. In my experience:

  • During blue periods, make sure you have wise friends to talk to. You feel alone, but you aren't. Ask for help! (blue: depressed or unhappy)
  • On shiny days, have fun enjoying the craziness of it all!

Various activities fill the to-do list of a house manager. Among them, the cooking cannot be avoided (most of the time). Therefore, I would like to share with you my favorite Dutch food blogs. I like them because:
  • They are in Dutch. It is so easy to find the ingredients at the supermarket. No more translating!
  • I get the Dutch vibes! They have personality, rhythm, and are healthy!
  • Reading in Dutch always helps you learn new vocabulary.
  • I feel rooted. It's my country now and I am part of it.

Last, but not least, here are my favorite three blogs. Take the time to explore. Try them out. Have fun while at it!



FAB & FIT ON A BUDGET. For breakfast, don't miss the carrot cake pancakes!

SAUDALICIOUS. Haven't tried any recipes yet, but I will!

Have a nice weekend and tot volgende keer!






Popular posts from this blog

Inburgering Part 1: Reading Exam

Resources and tips for your Spreken Inburgeringexamen

Learning Dutch and the Difference Between White and Brown Eggs